/etc: projects, snippets, notes, curiosities
Coding & Projects
In addition to my code on GitHub, find additional snippets (code & otherwise) on Gist.
- LAKE.app plays relaxing Lake Michigan waves for you, forever. (Here’s the blog post about it.)
- Lofi Cafe.app is a dedicated browser for lofi.cafe and a few other lofi/focus music streams.
- After getting an M1 MacBook, I migrated the build process for this website to Docker.
- I made an Aircraft Radar Skill for Amazon Alexa, mostly so I could stop pulling out my phone every time I heard a plane fly over.
git-open fork that works better with BitBucket.
- A variety of InfluxDB data loggers for Raspberry Pi-connected sensors (which still need documentation):
nut_influx_connector for power usage data from NUT,
pi-am2301a-influx-logger for the AM2301A temperature/humidity sensor,
pi-bme280-influx-logger for the BME280 temperature/humidity/pressure sensor.
energybridge_to_influxdb logs realtime power usage to InfluxDB from a local Energy Bridge device.
runner is useful for cron jobs: it runs a program and logs its output, but only echoes the program’s standard output/error if it fails.
- To help myself cut down on Facebook time, I wrote
hosts-timer, a simple tool to block a site on your computer, but allow access for short periods of time when needed.
unshorten is a simple, reasonably verbose URL unshortener.
- Feedbin Auto Archiver helps avoid stress by marking older items in your Feedbin account as read.
- Instapaper Auto Archiver is the same concept, for Instapaper.
listening.py is a cross-platform (macOS/Linux) wrapper for
netstat that I wrote so I only have to remember one CLI cyntax to check for listening processes.
msync is like
rsync, but only for music files, and it can transcode high-bitrate files to lower bitrates while syncing.
- Instapaper Reader is a simple standalone Instapaper reading app.
- Nativefier app project template for quickly building standalone single-site browsers.
- A simple app for editing Swagger API definitions.
- Fatal Error was a podcast about software development, with a focus on software architecture and design patterns. I co-hosted it with my friend Soroush Khanlou.
- The little-known
git google subcommand.
- A lightweight bash script for service health checking, complete with SMS + email alerts, rate limiting and logging
- I wrote a DDNS server & client for people who host DNS at DigitalOcean.
- RSS/JSON feed generator for the City of Ann Arbor’s FOIA log.
- iCal feed generator for forecasts from weather.gov.
- gmail-cleaner is a small tool which cleans up old messages from certain labels in a Gmail account.
- A kiosk-style network status display, written for Workantile.
- Timebot automagically translates times people post in Slack into the correct timezone for everyone in the channel.
- A Raspberry Pi-based garage door remote control.
- Bookmarklet to reenable pinch-to-zoom on obnoxious sites that disable it, like The New Yorker.
- Swift’s type system distinguishes between optional and non-optional
Voids. (Or at least it did in 2015.)
- dotfiles, of course.
- Some friends and I used to podcast about software engineering over at Code Optional.
- Here’s a quick script for watching the FCC’s licensing database for new radio licenses.
- I run A2mi.social, a Mastodon instance for people in the Ann Arbor area. (Status Page)
- Find stuff I’ve 3D-printed on Thingiverse, Prusa, and Flickr. Or, look through my own 3D designs on Thingiverse.
- @frequencytoday brings you a fresh new randomly-generated frequency daily. (Code: here and here.)
- 3-4-5.org walks you through a calming breathing exercise. (Source code here.)
- Information about singletons: singletons.info
- As a programmer, I have complaints about time zones.
- Also: some valuable insight on computers.
- An index of publications in which my photography has appeared
- 10foot6.in is a website dedicated to a bridge in Ann Arbor with 10’6” of clearance.
- Need a zero width space?
- Or a collection of gifs?
- I FOIA’d myself with the FBI and the results were boring. (And again in 2016, with the same result.)
- Datasheets and other notes for a variety of theatre lighting instruments.
- A blog about things that are and are not DAGs.
- Some good Ann Arbor-area radio stations, recommended by my friends on Twitter.
- Apparently I am on IMDB.
- I occasionally live-tweet city council meetings and other locally-interesting events at @localdzombak. (See /local for more in this vein.)
- I used to run Ann Arbor’s most popular weather blog, ArborWX. It’s now archived. (@ArborWX is still semi-active.)
- @cdzombak_ebooks is my very own
_ebooks account, powered by this code. (Or rather, it was, until I started deleting my old tweets and mostly stopped using Twitter.)
ADS-B Aircraft Tracking